Imagine the Fox Valley communities of Calumet, Outagamie, and Winnebago Counties as a place where active living, healthy eating and social engagement are engrained in the culture and are the community norm. This is the vision fostered by Weight of the Fox Valley’s task force of area leaders, which convened over the past few months to discuss the evolution of WOTFV; to scale up this work in order to create bigger, bolder, more sustainable change.
Key conclusions from the WOTFV Task Force re-visioning process include:
- Overweight and obesity continue to be significant issues for which we need a focused effort in our communities.
- Obesity as the primary focus is not engaging for the public and key stakeholders. The earlier decision to develop a new brand name and logo for WOTFV, along with a greater focus on overall wellbeing, will help to address this.
- Changing community culture will require greater resources and intensity, and a more concentrated focus on changing policy, systems and the environment.
- Continuing with a population-wide approach, while also incorporating special emphasis on children, families, and our most vulnerable populations, will help to ensure that all community members have the opportunity to live longer, better, healthier, and happier
We’ll know we’ve been successful when:
- Local governments, private sector, non-profit leaders and community members work in concert to ensure healthy environments where people work, live, play, pray, learn, and raise families.
- Investments in and commitments to healthy communities are showing up as increases in individual well-being, productivity, reductions in healthcare costs, and recognition as a desirable place to live.
The next step is to convene a small group of stakeholders for a 3 month process from mid-February to mid-May to research successful communities, define the path forward, and build the case for scaling up this work. WOTFV current stakeholders will have opportunities to help define our future through action team meetings and other means during this process. Stay tuned via monthly newsletters and Facebook for further updates.