WOTFV AmeriCorps Program
The WOTFV AmeriCorps Program is accepting member applications for the 2020 summer service term, which begins on 5/11/2020 and ends on 8/31/2020. The member will serve at Riverview Gardens, and will identify educational opportunities and develop wellness programs for program participants, youth, and community volunteers and support volunteer-based community farming initiatives. The member will receive professional development, hands-on experience towards internal goals, and make a difference in the Fox Valley community.
The current summer position will serve 450 hours during the term, averaging 28-38 hours/week. The member will receive a living allowance during the service term and an education award to pay off federal student loans or tuition costs after successful completion!
Contact Amanda Ross, the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program Manager.
The 2019-2020 service year runs from 9/1/2019-8/31/2020. During this time, the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program will mobilize AmeriCorps Members at partner organizations throughout Calumet, Outagamie, and Winnebago Counties. These members educate, create, implement, and promote activities and programs related to physical activity and healthy eating. Members activities’ support numerous local programs, such as Farm to School, Farm to Early Care, Urban Farming, Lifestyle Wellness, WIC Education, Physical Education, Safe Routes to School, Special Olympics, and Worksite Wellness. While creating a culture and environment that supports health, members will receive professional development, hands-on experience towards internal goals, and make a difference in the Fox Valley community.
AmeriCorps is a federally funded national service program, which engages over 80,000 members in service each year to address local and national problems through direct service. AmeriCorps members impact communities and organizations by increasing capacity and resources in an identified area of need. Members can serve in a variety of settings, including nonprofits, public agencies, faith-based and community organizations. In return for their year of service, members receive: extensive professional, educational and life experiences, a living stipend, and education award
WOTFV is a Tri-County community collaborative which focuses on creating an environment that makes it easy for Fox Valley residents to achieve and maintain a healthy weight at every age. For more information, click here.
Members will serve for a full calendar year, from 9/3/2019 to 8/31/2020. During this time, members will educate, create, implement, and promote activities and programs regarding physical activity and healthy eating to address the following WOTFV focus areas:
- Active Communities: To increase residents’ physical activity by providing more opportunities to be active in the community.
- Early Care & Education: To increase healthy eating and physical activity by children in the early care setting.
- Worksites: To increase access to and participation in worksite wellness programs for Fox Valley employees.
- Food System: To create and support a sustainable, healthy food system through policy and environmental change.
- School: to increase healthy eating and physical activity by children in the school setting
- Healthcare: To optimize healthcare systems and providers to augment prevention efforts and incorporate obesity prevention with treatment and care.
- Other: Increasing healthy eating habits and/or physical activity in other settings as defined by the selected partner host site.
^2018-2019 WOTFV AmeriCorps Members learning about bicycle safety
In compliance with state and federal laws, WOTFV and WOTFV AmeriCorps program partner agencies do not unlawfully discriminate against any individual on the basis of age, race, creed, color, handicap, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or ancestry.