WOTFV AmeriCorps Program
The WOTFV AmeriCorps Program is accepting applications for new and returning organizations in Calumet, Outagamie, and Winnebago Counties to serve as AmeriCorps host sites for the 2019-2020 service year (Sept. 1st, 2019-August 31st, 2020). Hosting an AmeriCorps member provides your organization with increased capacity at a low cost to support your goals and programs that are focused on addressing a healthy lifestyle through physical activity, healthy eating (healthy eating also includes breastfeeding & healthy beverages), or other initiatives related to creating a culture of health and well-being for Fox Valley residents.
- Wednesday, March 27th: Host site RFP application released
- Wednesday, April 17th: Intent to Apply due. Click here to complete the Intent to Apply
- Wednesday, May 8th: Application due by 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 24th: Announcement of selected host sites
- Wednesday, June 12th: Host site supervisor training for NEW site supervisors. Training held at United Way Fox Cities
- Friday, June 21st: Finalization of member position descriptions are due to the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program Manager
- June-August: Member recruitment for all host sites.
- Tuesday, July 30th: Host site supervisor training for ALL supervisors. Training will be held at United Way Fox Cities
- Tuesday, September 3rd: 50% of total cash match due
- Tuesday, September 3rd: First day members can begin their service
- September 11th-13th: New member orientation at United Way Fox Cities
The WOTFV AmeriCorps Program mobilizes 8 AmeriCorps Members at 8 partner organizations throughout Calumet, Outagamie, and Winnebago Counties. These members educate, create, implement, and promote activities and programs related to physical activity and healthy eating. Members activities’ support numerous local programs, such as Farm to School, Farm to Early Care, Urban Farming, Lifestyle Wellness, WIC Education, Physical Education, Safe Routes to School, Special Olympics, and Worksite Wellness.
Members will serve for a full calendar year, from 9/1/2018-8/31/2019. During this time, members will serve in either a full-time capacity of 1730 hours or half-time capacity of 930 hours. While creating a culture and environment that supports health, members will receive professional development, hands-on experience towards internal goals, and make a difference in the Fox Valley community.
And they're off! The 2018-2019 service year has officially begun!
The 2018-2019 service year has officially begun! We currently have 8 AmeriCorps members serving at our partner host site organizations throughout the Fox Valley:
- Alyssa Hofacker, serving at Calumet County Public Health/Ascension Calumet Hospital
- Karen Warren, serving at Mosaic Family Health
- Amy Hingeveld, serving at Riverview Gardens
- Tammy Wittmann, serving at SOAR Fox Cities
- Emily Terlap, serving at United Way Fox Cities
- Miranda Dawson, serving at UW-Oshkosh Head Start
- Kelley Krueger, serving at Winnebago County Health Department
- Devin Minor, serving at the YMCA of the Fox Cities
Members began their service year with orientation and a service project at the Bruce B. Purdy Nature Center. Members assisted with trail maintenance in preparation for the Apple Creek YMCA 10K Trail Run.
A special thank you our presenters who presented at our member orientation:
- Ashley Tracey and Tyler DeBruin, East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
- Jill Carlson Groendyk, Community GroundWorks
- Dr. Kay Theyerl, ThedaCare
- Emily Dieringer, Winnebago County Health Department
- Jess Moyle, City of Appleton Health Department
AmeriCorps is a federally funded national service program, which engages over 80,000 members in service each year to address local and national problems through direct service. AmeriCorps members impact communities and organizations by increasing capacity and resources in an identified area of need. Members can serve in a variety of settings, including nonprofits, public agencies, faith-based and community organizations. In return for their year of service, members receive: extensive professional, educational and life experiences, a living stipend, and education award
WOTFV is a Tri-County community collaborative which focuses on creating an environment that makes it easy for Fox Valley residents to achieve and maintain a healthy weight at every age. For more information, click here.
WOTFV AmeriCorps Program will enroll members for a full calendar year (9/1/2018-8/31/2019). Members will be serving at either full time (average 34.5 hours/week) or half time (average 18.5 hours/week) capacity. Members will educate, create, implement, and promote activities and programs regarding physical activity and healthy eating to address the following WOTFV focus areas:
- Active Communities: To increase residents’ physical activity by providing more opportunities to be active in the community.
- Early Care & Education: To increase healthy eating and physical activity by children in the early care setting.
- Worksites: To increase access to and participation in worksite wellness programs for Fox Valley employees.
- Food System: To create and support a sustainable, healthy food system through policy and environmental change.
- School: to increase healthy eating and physical activity by children in the school setting
- Healthcare: To optimize healthcare systems and providers to augment prevention efforts and incorporate obesity prevention with treatment and care.
- Other: Increasing healthy eating habits and/or physical activity in other settings as defined by the selected partner host site.
^2018-2019 WOTFV AmeriCorps Members learning about bicycle safety