The 2018-2019 service year has officially begun! We currently have 8 AmeriCorps members serving at our partner host site organizations throughout the Fox Valley.
Host Site: Calumet County Public Health & Ascension Calumet Hospital
Alyssa, who is from Freedom, WI, graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stout with a Bachelor’s degree in Health, Wellness, and Fitness. Alyssa chose to serve because she was able to share her passion with the community. She wanted to help people realize it can be simple to develop healthy lifestyles, and it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to run every day or never eat sugary foods.
- Hobbies: Coaching and playing volleyball, nature walks, working out, sleeping
- Unique experiences: Last year, she traveled to the Netherlands to visit family
- Pets: Two cats, Sas and Crash
- Favorite sports team: Green Bay Packers
- Favorite food: Salmon
- Favorite book: Raising Cole
- Other fun fact: Alyssa was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 2013, and has been cancer free for 5 years
Host Site: Mosaic Family Health Clinic
Originally from Georgia, Karen attended college at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. Prior to serving with AmeriCorps, Karen worked for Fond du Lac County as the Wellness Coordinator, but retired to spend more time with her grandson. Karen came out of retirement and chose to serve with the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program because she enjoys educating and encouraging others on their health and wellness journey.
- Hobbies: Reading, running, snowshoeing, traveling, and volunteering with community organizations.
- Pets: one cat named Yoshi
- Favorite sports teams: Green Bay Packers and Georgia Bulldogs
- Favorite form of physical activity: Running and Pi-Yo
- Favorite food: Pizza and chocolate
- Favorite vegetables: Sugar snap peas and brussel sprouts
- Favorite movie: Good Will Hunting and As Good as it Gets
Host Site: Riverview Gardens
Amy is from Fremont, WI and graduated from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse with a degree in Recreational Management. Amy chose to serve with our AmeriCorps Program because she wants to have a tangible impact within the Fox Valley community.
- Hobbies: Hiking, reading, baking, crocheting, kayaking, traveling.
- Unique life experiences: She’s traveled to four countries: Venezuela, France, Spain, Italy
- Pets: Two cats and one turtle
- Favorite vegetable: Green peppers
- Favorite fruit: Any kind of berry
- Favorite book: Tracks: A Woman’s Solo Trek Across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback
- Life goal: hike all of the Ice Age Trail
Host site: SOAR Fox Cities
Tammy was born and raised on the Fox Cities, and currently lives on the Northshore of Lake Winnebago with her husband and three daughters. Tammy attended her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and recently retired from the Appleton Area School District. Tammy felt serving with the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program and SOAR Fox Cities was an opportunity she couldn’t pass up. The chance to reconnect with Special Olympics and work with some of the adult education programs seemed like a great fit.
- Hobbies: Reading, walking, enjoying music, connecting with family and friends, and traveling
- Unique life experience: Has traveled to several warm locations, including New Zealand, Hawaii, and Florida.
- Pets: one rescue dog named Oakley
- Favorite Sports Team: Green Bay Packers
- Favorite Book: The Book Thief or The Art of Racing in the Rain
- Favorite Movie: A Christmas Carol
Host site: UW-Oshkosh Head Start
Miranda is an AmeriCorps alumni who attended college at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. Miranda chose to serve with the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program because she is passionate about health and helping other improve their overall wellness.
- Hobbies: Being active (especially during the summer months), reading, dancing, making music, and spending time in coffee shops
- Unique life experiences: Almost two years ago, she spent two weeks in Europe, traveling to Dublin, Ireland and Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Pets: 12 year old Golden Retriever, named Chante, and a 1 year old cat, named Nova
- Favorite physical activity: Long walks with a friend. The conversations and constant motion is therapeutic.
- Favorite vegetable: It depends on the season. Right now, it’s squash.
- Favorite book: There are too many to choose from!
- Life goal: Open up her own eco-friendly coffee shop someday
Host Site: Weight of the Fox Valley/United Way Fox Cities
Originally from Neenah, Emily graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Prior to serving with the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program, Emily was an intern at the Winnebago County Health Department and was a Residence Life Assistant at UW-Madison. Additionally, Emily coaches swimming to high school and college students. Emily chose to serve with the WOTFV AmeriCorps program Emily chose to serve with the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program as it combines her interest and passion in public health, healthy eating, and active lifestyle.
- Hobbies: reading, lifting, swimming, playing board games and card games
- Pets: Olive, a 2 year old Corgi
- Favorite Sports Team: Wisconsin Badgers and Chicago Bears
- Favorite food: Italian roasted veggies and turkey sausage
- Favorite Book: Before I Met You by Lisa Jewell
- Favorite fruit: peaches
- Unique life experience: Recently took a road trip to visit White Sands National Monument, the Grand Canyon, and Arches National Park
Host site: Winnebago County Health Department
Kelley, who is from Oshkosh, has an Associate’s degree in Health Promotion and Wellness from Mid-State Technical College. She chose to serve with the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program because of the mission WOTFV is trying to achieve: A community that together achieves and maintains a healthy weight at every age.
- Hobbies: spending time with family and her cat, lifting weights, coaching and playing volleyball, meal prepping, and visiting Disney World!
- Pets: one 13 year old cat
- Favorite sports team: Green Bay Packers
- Favorite food: pancakes
- Favorite vegetable: All vegetables!
- Favorite fruit: strawberries
- Favorite movie: Elf
Host site: YMCA of the Fox Cities
From Pittsville, Devin graduated from University of Wisconsin- La Crosse with a Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation. Prior to serving with the WOTFV AmeriCorps Program, Devin worked an array of jobs, including a position as an Activity Director at a long-term care facility in Green Bay, WI. This led Devin to serving, as she wants to help people make healthy choices earlier in life and throughout their life span
- Hobbies: Reading, yoga, hiking, camping cooking
- Unique life experience: Spent a month traveling around Ireland
- Favorite book: The Help
- Favorite food: Chips and salsa
- Favorite movie: Cinderella
- Favorite sports team: Milwaukee Brewers
- Life Goal: This year, Devin visited six state parks and two national parks. She plans to visit every state park in Wisconsin and as many national parks as possible.
Funded by the Corporation for National Community Service, WOTFV AmeriCorps members will serve at 9 partner organizations throughout Calumet, Outagamie, and Winnebago Counties. Members will educate, create, implement, and promote activities and programs regarding physical activity and healthy eating to Fox Valley youth and adults. While creating a culture and environment that supports health, members will receive professional development, hands-on experience towards internal goals, and make a difference in the Fox Valley community.
Members will serve for a full calendar year, from 9/1/2018-8/31/2019. During this time, members will serve in either a full-time capacity of 1730 hours (average 34.5 hours/week) or half-time capacity of 930 hours (average 18.5 hours/week).
Members will receive a living allowance during their year of service and an education award to pay off student loans or tuition costs after successful completion!
- Make a difference in the Fox Valley community
- Professional development in community health field
- Hands-on experience
- Networking opportunities
- Health insurance (single coverage eligible for full-time members only)
- Child-care subsidy (if eligible; for full-time members only)
- Receive a living allowance stipend for your year of service:
- Full-time members (who serve 1730 hours) will receive up to $13,732.00
- Half-time members (who serve 930 hours) will receive up to $6866.00
- Receive and education award towards your student loans or tuition costs after a successful year of service!
- Full-time members will receive: $5920.00
- Half-time members will receive: $2960.00
- Student loan forbearance
WOTFV AmeriCorps is a multi-site program which partners with 9 Fox Valley organizations to improve and promote a healthy lifestyle through physical activity and healthy eating to Fox Valley youth and adults. Members will serve at our partner host sites to create and deliver health education, increase capacity to new or ongoing obesity prevention initiatives, and recruit and mobilize volunteers.
Below is a list of our 2018-2019 partner host site organizations:
- Calumet County Public Health/Ascension Calumet Hospital-Chilton, WI
- Mosaic Family Health/Fox Valley Family Medicine Residency Program-Appleton, WI
- Riverview Gardens-Appleton, WI
- SOAR Fox Cities-Appleton, WI
- ThedaCare-Appleton, WI
- United Way Fox Cities-Menasha, WI
- UW-Oshkosh Head Start-Oshkosh, WI
- Winnebago County Health Department-Oshkosh, WI
- YMCA of the Fox Cities-Appleton , WI
Questions or interested in applying? Contact Amanda Ross, Americorps Program Manager: 920-735-5479 or email