Family Meals are a Must!
What We Believe
- Family meals promote healthy eating habits.
- Family meals provide an opportunity for parents to share their values to their children.
- Family meals provide an opportunity to socialize and to develop communication skills.
- Families don’t sit down to eat together anymore.
- Parents’ schedules and children’s extracurricular activities are a deterrent to getting the family to eat together.
- Meal times are quick, no time to connect.
- Technology distracts family meal times.
Facts on Family Meals and Nutrition
- Studies show that families who eat together consume more:
- Vitamin B6, B12, C and E
- Calcium and Iron
- Family meals give parents an opportunity to teach good nutrition and model healthy eating patterns.
What The Evidence Suggests
- Studies show that children and adolescents who share family meals three or more times per week:
- Have healthier weights
- Have healthier eating patterns
- Are socially, emotionally and physically healthier
- Children, especially teenagers who eat meals with their families at least five times a week are:
- Nearly twice less likely to use alcohol
- Four times less likely to use tobacco
- Two and a half less likely to use marijuana
Benefits of Family Meals
Barriers to Family Meals
Click here on Tips to Make Dinner Night Happen
Click here to Join Family Dinner Club
Click here to Start a Familly Dinner Night at your School
Click here for Family Recipes
Article written by: Julia Salomón MS, RDN, CD, corporate dietitian, Affinity Health System.