Staying Healthy and Having Fun on Vacation
Megan Farr, Weight of the Fox Valley Intern
When we go on vacation in the summer we might be tempted to stray from our healthy ways and treat ourselves to anything we would like. However, we might come back regretting our decision and finding it difficult to get back into our routine. Instead, we can try out these healthy tips, enjoy our vacation, and be able to transition back into our normal day-to-day life easier.
- Resist the urge to splurge when eating out. Instead, share an entrée with someone or take home the leftovers for your next meal. Choose one or two meals over the week to splurge so you don’t feel deprived.
- Get in your exercise by walking on the beach after dinner, swimming in the pool before your kids get up, or hiking up a mountain with your family.
- Bring water everywhere you go to stay hydrated. People tend to get dehydrated when traveling, so make sure to stay hydrated by stocking up your car, backpack, and refrigerator with bottles of water.
- Remember to get in your five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
- Pack the necessities such as bug spray, sunscreen, aloe, etc.
For more tips and tricks for a healthy and fun vacation check out the following links: https://www.webmd.com/women/features/vacation-eating#3
It can be hard to know what to pack as snacks when on vacation. Check out the list of ideas below for healthy snacks to bring along in your cooler.
- Any fresh fruit or vegetable, packed ready to eat
- Fruit or Veggie Kebabs
- Hummus with veggies
- Whole-grain crackers with low-fat cheese slices
- Nutty trail mix
- Whole grain pasta salad or quinoa salad
- Nuts such as almonds, pistachios, and walnuts
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (jelly sweetened with fruit juice and natural Peanut Butter with Whole Grain bread)
For more on health snacks for the beach check out this link: https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/06/health/beach-snacks-food-drayer/index.html