The Active Communities Action Team works to increase community members’ physical activity by providing more opportunities to be active in the community.
- Collaborating with municipalities to pass Complete Streets Policies, a formal commitment to streets that are safe and convenient for everyone. Twelve Fox Valley municipalities have already passed a Weight of the Fox Valley Resolution expressing their commitment to working together to support this work.
- Working in partnership with East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission on a regional wayfinding project to create design guidelines for signs that help people walking or bicycling know how to get to where they want to go safely and conveniently.
- Providing an opportunity for people to become informed and acquire tools to share their opinions with decision-makers so their community development reflects equitable access to all residents who need to move about the community for work, school, and recreation.
To increase the number of people walking and bicycling by supporting implementation of complete streets facilities (e.g. bike lanes, sidewalks, safe crossings) in local communities within the tri-county region.
Complete Streets are streets designed and operated to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities, They make it easier to choose to walk or bike to work, for recreation, to the library, grocery store, clinic, or for ANY activities
Studies have shown, neighborhoods that invest in trails and bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure have higher property values and increased sales tax revenues (Source: investinplace.org).
Roads designed for bicycling and walking prevent serious injuries, deaths, and collisions; keeping everyone safer, including motorists. Residents are 65% more likely to walk in a neighborhood with sidewalks (CDC) and are 50% more likely to meet physical activity standards (Source: Active Living Research, 2016).
Complete streets provide more options for transportation for all users, especially children, older adults, people with disabilities, or low-income families.
# of municipalities passing the Weight of the Fox Valley resolution
# of municipalities passing complete streets policies
# people living in communities with complete streets policies
# linear miles of roadways with complete streets facilities
# linear miles marked with wayfinding signage
# people biking & walking on trails and areas with complete streets facilities
Residents and professionals from different sectors in the community – government, non-profits and business are helping to set direction for this action team. Join us on this team if you are interested in promoting policies and initiatives that create or enhance active recreational opportunities and physical activities such as biking, walking, gardening, sailing, dancing, etc.
The Active Communities team meets on monthly basis. For the meetings schedule, please check our calendar.
- Greenways Fox Cities
- Fox Cities Bike challenge
- Fox Cities Marathon
- Safe Routes to School East Central
- YMCA Fox Cities
- YMCA Oshkosh Area
Do you want to lead our community to a healthier future?
Get involved and join one of our six Action Teams.