Early Care & Education
The Early Care & Education (ECE) Action Team works to increase healthy eating and physical activity in the early care setting.
- Collaborating with workplaces, early care sites, and communities to increase the availability of breastfeeding-friendly environments in these settings.
- Working in partnership with area childcare sites and farmers to increase the availability of locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables in Early Care & Education meal programs.
- Providing education and resources to early care & education sites to assist them in meeting recommended nutrition guidelines.
Activities in the ECE setting such as taste tests, nutrition education, and gardening promote lifelong healthy food habits and decrease the risk for obesity in childhood and beyond (www.farmtoschool.org).
Breastfeeding reduces the risk of obesity for both moms and babies. (www.asphn.org)
Businesses that provide lactation support save $3 for every $1 spent on those services. (www.asphn.org)
# of ECE sites adopting CACFP* Fruit & Vegetable (F&V) guidelines
# Children with access to meals that follow CACFP F&V Guidelines
# ECE sites implementing strategies for serving locally- grown F&V
# children with access to locally-grown fruits & veggies in ECE setting
# breastfeeding-friendly designated ECE sites & worksites
# children ever breastfed and at 3 and 6 months
* USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program
- Increase consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables for children one to five years of age by increasing access to fresh fruits and vegetables in early care nutrition programs in the Tri-County area.
- Increase breastfeeding initiation and duration in the Tri-County region by increasing breastfeeding supportive environments.
We especially encourage owners and employees of daycares and early childhood education programs, as well as parents, to take part in the Early Care & Education Action Team and give us your input!
The Early Care & Education Action Teammeets on monthly basis. For the meetings schedule, please check our calendar.
Do you want to lead our community to a healthier future?
Get involved and join one of our six Action Teams.